Teesdale Cheesemakers joins Rural Business Network
I am delighted to announce that Teesdale Cheesemakers Allison and Jonathan Raper have joined our Rural Business Network community. They hand make eight soft artisan cheeses using milk from the family farm, winning numerous awards in the process:
- Teesdale Blue – a mild creamy Blue (cow’s milk)
- White Hilton – a complex creamy white cheese that changes as you chew it
- Barney Brie – a robust farmhouse brie
- Teesdale Goat – a mild mellow goat with our distinct rind to finish it off
- Doris – a dales style cheese, crumbly in the middle with a soft edging
- Nanny Blue – a blue goat cheese with a mild rocquefort flavour
- Allison’s Garlic Special – inspired by a maltese recipe and a nod to Allison’s maltese roots
- Flavoured Teesdale Curd cheeses, dessert cheeses designed to pimp up your pud!
I’m feeling hungry now!
Their cheeses, as you can image, are very popular and in normal times could be bought at local farmers markets, food festivals, local outlets and in restaurants too.
Allison and Jonathan opened Cafe Cheesdale last November at Pond Farm, 11 Copley Lane, Butterknowle, DL13 5LW. A cheese-centric cafe and shop where the menu revolved around the cheese they make on the premises. Then Covid-19 arrived.
Not to be deterred, Allison and Jonathan have done a sterling job by moving their shop outside which has enabled them to offer a contactless shopping experience. Open Tuesday to Saturday, 10am -4pm, you can drive in or preorder via email firstname.lastname@example.org. The couple also find the time to deliver free to their local community.
Remarkably the stock range has expanded and includes products from a number of small food businesses in County Durham- visit Teesdale Cheesemakers facebook page to view current stock and a chance to see their rare breed pigs, who are fed on the whey from the cheesemaking.
If you are too far away, you could order one of their cheese gift boxes (postage free right now), I’m just off to find the biscuits to go with them!
Allison and Jonathan attended our second event, Rural Business Support – County Durham where we heard from South Durham Enterprise Agency, Business Durham and support organisation, Digital Drive County Durham.
Our Rural Business Network community is growing, we would love it if you join us.